Important Tax Information:
Nevada Health Link recommends all Nevadans seek help from a licensed tax professional while preparing their federal income tax filings. If you have enrolled in health coverage through Nevada Health Link or healthcare.gov and would like information regarding your taxes or have any questions, follow the links below directly:
- Getting Your 2016 1095-A Form
- 2016 1095-A Form and Instructions
- Filing an Exemption through the Marketplace
- IRS Free File
- VITA Tax Resources
- Report a Life or Income Change
Nevadans Who Wish to File an Exemption from the Tax Penalty
The Affordable Care Act (ACA) allows people to ask for and potentially receive an exemption from tax penalties for not having health insurance. To ask for an exemption, you must complete and send in an exemption form. The form you use to apply for an exemption depends on what kind of exemption you’re applying for. Exemptions can be claimed for the following:
- Health coverage is unaffordable (too expensive)
- You are a member of a healthcare-sharing ministry (religious exemption)
- You are a member of a federally recognized tribe (American Indian/Alaskan Native)
- You were eligible for healthcare services through an Indian healthcare provider
- You were incarcerated (jail or prison)
- You are a member in a recognized religious sect whose members object to insurance
- You income was too low, you had short gaps in coverage, or you were not lawfully present
All of these exemptions and the instructions to fill out the exemption form can be found here: www.Healthcare.gov/Exemptions
If you are planning to file an exemption because you feel health care was unaffordable, you will need to provide Healthcare.gov the cost of the lowest cost bronze plan available to you during that tax year. The Nevada Division of Insurance has a tool available to lookup insurance rates here: http://healthrates.doi.nv.gov/Wizard.aspx:
- Click on the box marked “Individual”
- Select the county you lived in during that plan year from the dropdown menu
- Select your age during that plan year from the dropdown menu
- Click “Continue”
- Select “Bronze” from the Metal Tier dropdown.
- Select “Yes – Show ONLY Exchange Plans” from the plans dropdown menu.
- Select the desired year from the plan year dropdown menu.
- Click “View Results”
The plans offered in your county will be displayed at the bottom of the sheet. The lowest cost plan is needed for this affordability exemption. You can click the button “Download as PDF” to have a printable result available.
Find important numbers to the call centers that will help you enroll in health insurance. You will also find important contact numbers for Medicaid, Nevada Division of Insurance and the Secretary of State’s Office.
For immediate assistance, Call us at: 855-7NVLINK (768-5465) or email us at: CustomerServiceNVHL@exchange.nv.gov
- View our Outreach and Events Calendar
- Checklist of what documents to bring with you to enroll
- Find a local broker or agent in your neighborhood by searching your zip code
- Call the Federal Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596
- Manage your plan by clicking HERE