The Enrollment Process
The first step of the enrollment process is to provide some basic information about your income and household composition by answering a few questions using our exchange eligibility pre-screener tool. If the tool identifies potential Medicaid/CHIP eligibility then you will be directed to submit a Medicaid application. Learn more about the plans Nevada Health Link offers.
The Affordable Care Act is intended to provide the lowest cost health coverage for an individual or family based on their income level. For individuals or families whose income is below 138% of the Federal Poverty Line (FPL) the lowest cost option is often Medicaid. Individuals or families whose income is greater than 138% FPL typically will not qualify for Medicaid, but may qualify for financial assistance such as insurance subsidies known as Advance Premium Tax Credits (which lower monthly insurance premiums) or Cost Sharing Reductions (which lower the cost of medical services). In addition, adults who do not qualify for Medicaid may still have children who qualify for assistance through the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). The most important part of the enrollment process, then, is to determine which level(s) of coverage you or your family may qualify for.
Enrollment for a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) through Nevada Health Link is typically limited to the Open Enrollment Period, which occurs only once per year. The Open Enrollment period begins on November 1 and ends on January 15. In order to receive coverage by January 1, you must complete your application by December 31. For more information on Open Enrollment please see What is Open Enrollment?
Individuals who experience certain types of life changes may qualify for a “Special Enrollment Period (SEP),” which allows for changes in enrollment outside of the Open Enrollment period. Qualifying Life Events include changes to income/employment, residence, or family composition. To learn more about SEP, read our Blog.
If you’re looking for coverage for plan year 2022:
- See if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period due to a life event like losing coverage, getting married, or having a baby, you will enroll at NevadaHealthLink.com
- See if you qualify for Medicaid or NV Check-Up
- There are no limitations on the enrollment period for Medicaid or CHIP. If you qualify, coverage can begin immediately, any time of year.
- Contact Nevada Health Link by calling: 1-800-547-2927; email us at: CustomerServiceNVHL@exchange.nv.gov
Get Help With Enrollment
Nevada Health Link provides a number of options for help with the enrollment process. For a complete list of resources please visit our Get Help page.
For free in-person assistance please use the broker directory to locate a licensed agent/broker or enrollment professional near you.
- Get answers to the most commonly asked questions by visiting Nevada Health Link’s FAQ page on the platform
- You can also locate an agent/broker by calling our customer service line and inputting your zip code 1-800-547-2927
- View How To Enroll guide
- Explore Frequently Asked Questions
- Pre-Enrollment Checklist