Special Enrollment Period
When Your Life Changes, Your Health Coverage Could Too
Once you sign up for coverage through Nevada Health Link, you must report any life and income changes. This will ensure you continue to receive the correct coverage and savings for you and your family.
- If your income goes up or you lose a member of your household, you may qualify for less savings than you’re getting now. If you don’t report these changes, you could wind up having to pay back the difference when you file your federal tax return for the coverage year.
- If your income goes down or your gain a household member, you could qualify for more savings than you’re getting now. This could reduce the amount you pay in monthly premiums. You could also qualify for Medicaid or CHIP coverage.
Life changes include:
- Get married or divorced
- Have a child, adopt a child, or place a child for adoption
- Have a change in income
- Get health coverage through a job or a program like Medicare or Medicaid
- Change your place of residence
- Have a change in disability status
- Gain or lose a dependent
- Become pregnant
- Experience other changes that may affect your income and household size
- Other changes to report: change in tax filing status; change of citizenship or immigration status; incarceration or release from incarceration; change in status as an American Indian/Alaska Native or tribal status; correction to name, date of birth, or Social Security number.
When to report changes:
You should report these changes as soon after the change as possible.
If these changes qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period to change plans, in most cases you may have up to 60 days from the life event to enroll in new coverage. If the changes qualify you for more or less savings, it’s important to make adjustments as soon as possible.
How to report changes:
- See if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period due to a life event like losing coverage, getting married, or having a baby, you will enroll at HealthCare.gov
- Please note: If you enroll on HealthCare.gov in a Special Enrollment Period for plan year 2019 after October 24, 2019, you MUST actively shop Nevada Health Link during Open Enrollment in order to secure coverage for plan year 2020.
- Contact Nevada Health Link by calling: 1-800-547-2927; email us at: CustomerServiceNVHL@exchange.nv.gov
Important: Do not report these changes by mail.