Special Enrollment Period

Visit HealthCare.gov to learn more information about changing your current plan or to see if you are eligible for a special enrollment period (SEP)

To see if a life change qualifies you for a Special Enrollment Period visit HealthCare.gov’s website; or to see if your life change qualifies you for premium cost changes or Medicaid, visit our pre-screener here.

When Your Life Changes, Your Health Coverage Could Too

Once you sign up for coverage through the marketplace, you must report any life and income changes. This will ensure you continue to receive the correct coverage and savings for you and your family.

  • If your income goes up or you lose a member of your household, you may qualify for less savings than you’re getting now. If you don’t report these changes, you could wind up having to pay back the difference when you file your federal tax return for the coverage year.
  • If your income goes down or your gain a household member, you could qualify for more savings than you’re getting now. This could reduce the amount you pay in monthly premiums. You could also qualify for Medicaid or CHIP coverage.

Life changes:

  • Get married or divorced
  • Have a child, adopt a child, or place a child for adoption
  • Have a change in income
  • Get health coverage through a job or a program like Medicare or Medicaid
  • Change your place of residence
  • Have a change in disability status
  • Gain or lose a dependent
  • Become pregnant
  • Experience other changes that may affect your income and household size
  • Other changes to report: change in tax filing status; change of citizenship or immigration status; incarceration or release from incarceration; change in status as an American Indian/Alaska Native or tribal status; correction to name, date of birth, or Social Security number.

When to report changes:

You should report these changes as soon after the change as possible.

If these changes qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period to change plans, in most cases you may have up to 60 days from the life event to enroll in new coverage. If the changes qualify you for more or less savings, it’s important to make adjustments as soon as possible.

How to report changes:

  • Online. Log in to your account at Healthcare.gov Select your existing application, choose “Report a life change” from the menu on the left, and then click on the “Report a life change” button.
  • By phone. Contact the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325)

Important: Do not report these changes by mail.


State of Nevada

Nevada Health Link is brought to you by the State of Nevada Silver State Health Insurance Exchange

The Official Site of the Silver State Health Insurance Exchange | Copyright ©2019 State of Nevada - All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy

Review the Silver State Health Insurance Exchange Nondiscrimination Statement here in English and here in Español.