Nevada Health Link is our state’s online health insurance exchange where Nevadans can shop and apply for comprehensive, Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant health plans in one convenient location. On this page, you’ll find tools, guides, tips, and other resources made to help Nevada Health Link customers understand the ins and outs of their health insurance plan.
About the ACA
The Affordable Care Act, also known as the ACA or “Obamacare,” is a comprehensive federal health care reform law enacted in March 2010. The law has three primary goals:
- Make affordable health insurance available to more people (the law provides subsidies and tax credits to lower costs for consumers with incomes between 100% and 400% of the federal poverty level).
- Expand the Medicaid program to cover all adults with income below 138% of the federal poverty level.
- Support innovative medical care delivery methods designed to lower the costs of health care in general.
Using the authority provided by the ACA, the Nevada State Legislature voted to expand Medicaid coverage and create a state-based health insurance marketplace. The Silver State Health Insurance Exchange (SSHIX, or “the Exchange”) was thereby established to:
- Facilitate the purchase and sale of qualified health plans in the individual market in Nevada
- Reduce the number of uninsured persons in Nevada
- Provide a transparent marketplace for health insurance and consumer education on matters relating to health insurance
- Assist residents of Nevada with access to programs, premium assistance tax credits and cost-sharing reductions.
Inflation Reduction Act – Means Bigger Savings for You!
Thanks to the recently passed Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), Nevadans who may have earned too much to get financial help in the past are now eligible for the first time. This milestone achievement extended the expansion of the premium tax credits on Affordable Care Act (ACA) plans outlined in the American Rescue Plan until 2025.
About the American Rescue Plan
The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (American Rescue Plan), passed by Congress and signed by President Biden on March 11, 2021, increases the opportunity for unprecedented numbers of Nevadans to receive subsidies, including Nevadans making over 400% of the federal poverty level.
It simultaneously reduces premiums for Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliant health insurance plans sold through Nevada Health Link. Nevadans who have received unemployment insurance may also be able to take advantage of $0 premium plans sold on the Exchange.